Regulations to Enter the Country During COVID
In a press conference from the President´s Office today at 1:00 PM local time, President Alvarado along with the Ministers of Health, Tourism and Planning, issued the measures to open the airports for international air travel to Costa Rica, as well as to measures to open businesses in the tourism industry in counties with yellow alert.
International air travel will be allowed starting August 1st. According the the Civil Aviation Administration, air travel will be allowed at 11:59 PM. For all practical purposes the efective date to reinstate air travel will be August 2nd. This is a developing story, we will confirm as more details are announced.
The measures for foreign travel to Costa Rica will be as follows:
Costa Rica will open air travel and will receive flights from the following destinations:
- European Union
- United Kindom
There will be less than five flights per week allowed from those destinations.
The United States is not included in the list of flights allowed into the country.
The Department of Tourism along with the Department of Health will continue to monitor the situation to gradually open to other destinations.
The measures are applicable to flights. The government did not mention if people from the countries excluded can travel through the countries that are permitted to travel.
People who travel to Costa Rica from those destinations must comply with the following:
- Foreign Travelers who visit Costa Rica must comply with the local health protocols implemented by the Department of Health.
- Complete a COVID test 48 hours prior to travel to Costa Rica.
- Complete a digital epidemiology form prior to arrival. You can have access to the online form by clicking here.
- Obtain Travel Insurance in case the traveler is infected by COVID to cover medical costs or travel costs related to deal with the infection and or quarantine.
The land borders with Nicaragua and Panama will remain closed.
Lastly, the Minister of Tourism mentioned that Costa Rica received a Seal of Safe Destination to travel during COVID issued by the World Travel and Tourism Council.
The measures to open the tourism industry is as follows:
- Counties with Yellow Alert can open the beaches until 2 PM. No activity on the beach will be allowed after 2 PM.
- Counties with Yellow Alert can open to open door activities for tourism such as hiking, fishing, surfing, canopy tours, so on and so forth.
- Tourists and businesses must comply with the health protocols established by the Department of Health.
- There will be inspections to make sure the tourism industry complies with the health protocols.
Both Airports Juan Santamarìa in Alajuela and Daniel Oduber in Liberia will be open to international travel.
- The airports will implement the health protocols to prevent the spread of the COVID 19 virus.
- Masks and social distancing will be enforced.
We will provide more details once the CR Government issues the official decree confirming the measures issued by the President´s Office today in the press conference.