NEW PHASE OF REOPENING and Updates
- Cantons in the yellow zone, with some exceptions, may advance to phase 3 from midnight onwards today.
- The canton of Curridabat is excluded from this provision; the districts of the canton of San José: La Uruca, La Merced, Hospital, Hatillo, Mata Redonda, Catedral, Zapote, San Francisco de Dos Ríos and San Sebastián.
- Also excluded from this phase is the district of San Rafael de Escazú, as well as the districts of Aserrí and San Gabriel in the canton of Aserriceño and the districts of Corralillo de Cartago and Ulloa in Heredia.
- The CNE updated the alerts in the cantons of Upala, San Carlos, Pococí and Desamparados.
- Juan Santamaría International Airport and Daniel Oduber of Liberia will open on August 1.
After an analysis of the epidemiological situation, Costa Rica will be able to advance to phase 3 of reopening, with the exception of the orange alert zones and some neighboring cantons and districts.
This was announced at a press conference by the Minister of Health, Daniel Salas and the Minister of National Planning and coordinator of the economic team, Pilar Garrido.
The cantons and districts on yellow alert may advance to phase 3 starting at midnight today, except:
- San José: the districts of La Uruca, La Merced, Hospital, Hatillo, Mata Redonda, Catedral, Zapote, San Francisco de Dos Ríos and San Sebastián
- Escazú: the district of San Rafael.
- Aserrí: the districts of Aserrí and San Gabriel.
- Cartago: the Corralillo district.
- Heredia: the Ulloa district.
- Weekends : Weekend operation of shops (50% capacity), cinemas, theaters and museums at 50% (prior purchase and separation of 1.8 meters).
- Monday to Sunday : The operation of places of worship is authorized with a maximum of 75 people and a distance of 1.8 meters, according to the approved protocols.
- Beaches : Access to the beaches can be done from Monday to Sunday from 5:00 am to 9:30 am, using social bubbles.
“The country is going to advance to phase three with the expectation of achieving a gradual and safe commercial reopening, except in those cantons where there is an increased risk of contagion. We are in the second wave and the risk has not decreased. Therefore, commercial activities must follow all health protocols for phase three to be carried out successfully and for the benefit of all, “explained the Minister of National Planning.
Minister Salas announced the opening of air borders as of August 1 of this year, including the Juan Santamaría International Airport and the Daniel Oduber of Liberia.
Variation in alerts
The National Commission for Risk Prevention and Emergency Attention (CNE) updated the orange alert in the cantons of Upala, San Carlos, Pococí and Desamparados, starting today at midnight, as announced by Alexander Solís, president of the CNE:
- In the canton of Upala , the districts of: Dos Ríos, Aguas Claras and Bijagua change to yellow alert. The districts of Upala, San José (Pizote), Delicias, Yolillal and Canalete remain on orange alert.
- In the canton of San Carlos , the alert in the La Fortuna district is updated.
- The northwest sector of La Fortuna changes to a yellow alert : (La Fortuna Centro, Zeta thirteen, Barrio Manolo, Barrio Pilo, Barrio Pastoral, Barrio Olivo, Barrio Dora, La Guaria, Catarata, Jaurí 1 and 2, La Palma, Tabacón and El Castle).
- The orange alert is maintained in the south east sector of La Fortuna (Tres Esquinas, Los Ángeles, Sonafluca, La Perla, San Isidro, El Tanque, San Jorge and Santa Cecilia).
- In the canton of Pococí , the district of Guápiles Centro, Jiménez and La Colonia change into a yellow alert. Orange Cariari, Colorado, La Rita and Roxana remain on alert.
- In the canton of Desamparados , the districts of: Frailes, Damas, San Cristobal, Rosario, San Antonio and Gravilias change to yellow alert. The orange alert is maintained in Desamparados Centro, Patarrá, Los Guido, San Miguel, San Rafael Abajo, San Rafael Arriba and San Juan de Dios.
The cantons of Upala and Pococí, and the district of La Fortuna, maintain differentiated vehicle restrictions due to their proximity to the border area. The canton of Desamparados will only maintain the differentiated vehicle restriction in the orange alert districts.