Update on the Extension of Entry Stamps
Whilst Immigration officially announced on March 3rd, 2021 that tourist entry stamps have been extended until June 1st, 2021, there is a process to follow if you wish to file for Residency or any of
Whilst Immigration officially announced on March 3rd, 2021 that tourist entry stamps have been extended until June 1st, 2021, there is a process to follow if you wish to file for Residency or any of the other available Immigration categories such as Estancia or Special Categories. This process has been confirmed by Immigration. Below a document issued by the Immigration Department validating this. We have also spoken to one of the Directors and he has confirmed that this approach is valid and correct.
People who wish to file for Residency
If you enter the country with the intention of filing for Residency, to legally stay you must:
- Request an appointment to file for Residency by calling 1311 using a Kolbi line (in Costa Rica there are various phone providers, including Claro, Movistar, and Kolbi. Only Kolbi lines can be used to call 1311) or by going online to migracion.go.cr where the person registers and requests an appointment in the following: Crear Cita – Tipo de Cita – Plataforma Primera Vez – Extranjería.
- All of these requirements are presented per person. One appointment is requested per person.
- You must request the appointment whilst having legal status. If you already have irregular status, the appointment will not fix that.
- Per Immigration’s confirmation, you would be able to stay until the date of your appointment and beyond exclusively if you do file for Residency. Below document that confirms this, issued by Immigration.
- Immigration has confirmed that people who book appointments for the sole purpose of extending their stay, without the intention of filing for Residency, will face consequences. The fines and penalties for this irregular approach are yet to be confirmed.
These are the matters we are still pending to confirm with Immigration:
- Penalties and fines for scheduling a Residency appointment people are not planning on honoring.
- We are working with Transportation to have them extend driving privileges until June 1st, 2021.
We will continue to publish further information as it comes through.
Outlier Legal will schedule all of our immigration clients’ appointments.