Driver’s License Renewal
Regarding driver’s license renewal, the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation has announced that the validity period for driver’s licenses will be extended, as explained in the link below: To request a license renewal appointment, go
Regarding driver’s license renewal, the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation has announced that the validity period for driver’s licenses will be extended, as explained in the link below:
To request a license renewal appointment, go to: https://servicios.educacionvial.go.cr/Formularios/SolicitarCitaTramite
Upon fulfilling the required information, you must enter the type of service: driver’s license or driving permit appointment.
Then, upon accepting the terms and conditions, you will have to go past a security mechanism and be shown a list of available offices nationwide. On this map, you will need to choose the office closest to you, or that of your choice, after which, a lists of appointment timeslots available will be displayed. Lastly, once the appointment date and time have been selected and confirmed, the system will generate an appointment receipt.
Please note that the following renewal requirements are to be fulfilled by applicants:
- Driver must present a current, valid form of ID, which must be in good condition (identity card, residence card, asylum ID card, etc.).
- Digital medical exam for driver’s license must be current.
- Any outstanding traffic tickets must be cancelled.
- Driver must cancel the license renewal fee and not have lost 12 points on their license for traffic violations
- Costs of renewal:
- Drivers who accumulate fewer than 4 points will have to pay 5,000 colones and their new license will be issued for 6 years.
- Drivers who accumulate between 5 and 8 points will have to pay 10,000 colones and their licenses will be valid for 4 years, in addition to completing the driver awareness and refresher course.
- Drivers who accumulate between 9-11 points at the time of renewal will have to pay 10,000 colones and complete the driver awareness and refresher course. Their license will be valid for 3 years.
- Driver who have lost 12 points on traffic violations will have their license suspended, with no right to renewal or having a new license issued.